Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Little Moments

Brandan started insulin in his pump yesterday. I had a knot of nerves in my stomach all day. He ate lunch, I bolused. He asked for something else, I bolused again. When he was done pigging out he reminded me to give him insulin. I told him I already did. He BEGGED me to inject his arm. Go figure! I understand though, it's the only life he's known. When he was almost done with dinner I sat beside him and let him watch me "give him insulin." He layed his head on my shoulder, I figure it was a version of a hug since his hands were messy. Lastnight when I bolused for his bedtime snack he thanked me. When I asked him why he thanked me, he wrapped his arms around me and said, "Thanks for giving me my insulin with the pump." I couldn't help it, I cried. :)

Today on our way out of Toys R Us the boys got some candy and I got an icecream cone. We sat at a table outside. When Brandan finished his Kit-Kat bar I used one finger to push buttons to give him insulin. (I didn't have to put my my icecream down to melt while I pulled insulin out of a vial and injected him.) My mom looked at me like I was crazy when I exclaimed how cool it was. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment