Monday, April 11, 2011

Seriously. (only not so serious)

The other day my hubby was munching on some pork rinds. For those of you who don't look at such things, pork rinds have no carbs. (Or maybe just a miniscule amount for the flavoring.) Anyway..... Brandan asked his dad if he can have some so he pointed the open end of the bag toward Brandan and said, "Go ahead and eat some." Brandan responded, in shock, "Are you SERIOUS?!" That made my chest hurt a little. The littlest thing that we, without diabetes, think nothing of is huge for the children with it. See, they never get to just eat out of the bag. We have to weigh and measure everything for them first, so it ends up in a bowl.

But I'm looking at this differently today. I'm looking from Brandan's perspective. He got to eat out of the bag! It's not sad. It's cool! He got to sit on the couch and eat out of DADDY'S bag of junk of all things! It's like when we adults cheat on a diet. Actually, that's exactly IT. Brandan got to cheat on his diet. It felt so wrong and it felt so good!

Yes, I'm looking at the brighter side today. For Brandan, diabetes isn't a big deal. But a few minutes to forget about it, that's HUGE!

6 comments:

  1. This post is so great...I love that he got to enjoy a snack just like Daddy...straight outta the bag! It's all about the little things in life :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I think that is what bugs the shit out of me. That they cannot just eat out of the box or bag or whatever. Everything counted and weighed is so cumbersome. GREAT post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Trish, I just found your blog. I, too, have a son with T1D, and being able to eat without measuring, weighing or counting carbs is such a BIG deal for him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish they could make the pork rinds taste more like potato chips..... I'm glad he likes the pork rinds, at least there is one snack he can eat whenever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wouldn't it be nice if they could do this with whatever, whenever? *Sigh* Just something as simple as this would make them (and us) SO happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Anon... if they could only taste more like chips :P

    ReplyDelete