Saturday, March 12, 2011

AMAZING

Brandan (almost 4 years old) and his brother, Logan (22 months old) were playing together in the bedroom while I was at the computer and Dad was playing a video game. Brandan didn't want anything at snack time and his sugar was in the low 100s when I checked. I yelled to him, "Brandan!" "What?" "How's your sugar feeling?" "Fine." Some minutes passed, not too many, and little Logan was standing in the hall screaming in a high pitch at his brother, "Come on Dan-Dan NOW! Come here! Come here!" He waits a second. "Dan-Dan!" He's really worked up now, face turning red. Finally Brandan comes out of the bedroom and Logan goes to the drawer with Brandan's meter and supplies in it. I usually don't allow Logan to open that drawer, but I was stunned to say the least. I thought he was yelling at his brother to come play. So, Logan brought the meter to me, "Here Mama," and stood there watching as I checked Brandan's sugar. 69. My jaw dropped and Logan just stood there with some look on his face I don't think I'd ever seen before. I asked Brandan if he knew his sugar was low and he shrugged. I asked Logan if he knew Brandan's sugar was low. He still had that stranger's look in his eyes, but he smiled just a little. His dad and I praised him, of course. With tears in my eyes I said to my husband, "Brandan's gonna be alright out there. His brother has his back already."

No comments:

Post a Comment