Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Battle In The War Of Diabetes

Yesterday my 2 boys, Brandan (3, who has diabetes) and Logan (18 months, who does not), were eating one of their favorite snacks, yogurt raisins. Logan started throwing his raisins across the floor, as he often does and I'm trying to get him out of the habit. For the first time ever Brandan started throwing his too. And the dog was eating them as soon as they hit the floor. So, yeah, I had no idea how many of Brandan's carbs the dog just consumed. I warned them to stop or I was taking their snacks away, I told Brandan that he knows better than that. Several minutes later I saw them sitting in front of the dog putting the raisins in front her and because that didn't make noise I have no idea how long they had done it or how much they fed her.

I didn't give Brandan insulin because I thought he probably gave MOST of the raisins to the dog. I actually thought to myself that if his sugar gets high I might be able to teach him a lesson. So I waited 2 hours and checked his sugar for dinner. 461. What kind of horrible mother am I?! I instantly regretted my previous thought of teaching him a lesson and I feel so guilty!

Brandan saw me preparing his insulin before dinner (I usually wait 'til after he eats) and screamed, "I don't need insulin!" I told him he does because his sugar is real high. (It was my fault.) "No, no, no!" He screamed. "I don't need insulin! I don't want it!" He continued to fight and struggle with me while I was being as nice and comforting as I could be. I know he was only fighting me because his BG was so high. (It was my fault.) I finally got him in my lap ready to inject the insulin and he said to me, "I don't like to need insulin." Such an innocent voice to say something like that.

I gave him the insulin and cradled him in my arms while I sang "the song" to him. When he said he felt better I told him why his sugar was high. He understood and agreed to never throw his food or feed it to the dog again.

No comments:

Post a Comment