Saturday, March 12, 2011

"Bad Sugar"

A couple of nights ago my husband and I were watching a movie. My 3 year old son, Brandan, who has diabetes woke up crying "that" cry. I grabbed his meter on the way to his bedroom. When I opened the door he was curled up in the fetal position and said, "Bad sugar." He has never said that before. When I sat on his bed to check his sugar he sat up. His cheeks were flushed, his eyes were wide and wandering and his hand trembled when he held it out to me. He pointed toward the living room and said he wants to go sit with Maw-Maw. I told him she's not here, it's night-night time. He must have heard a woman on TV, he was confused. A panic washed over me as I pricked his finger and waited for the low number. The meter read 429. He looked at me and said, "I want to go home." "We are home, baby." "I don't like doctor," he said. Did he think he was at the hospital? Did he think he needs the doctor? I was scared and I had to focus. I knew I needed to check for ketones. I asked him if he had to potty, and of course he did. He stood and peed right there beside his bed. My poor baby didn't know where he was or what he was doing and now I couldn't test for ketones. As I carried Brandan to the living room I thought about taking him to the ER. I gave him insulin instead. I didn't know if it was enough or too much, I just wanted him to get better. He curled up in my arms, asked for his Care Bears cover, and closed his eyes. I tried to stop my tears, but I failed and he didn't notice. About 5 minutes later he asked where his daddy was. Daddy came to him and gave him a kiss and a few comforting words. Another 5 or so minutes passed and Brandan asked for a cup of water. After taking a few sips he said, "Night-night Mama. I love you." Some of the weight lifted off my shoulders in that instant. I checked his sugar 3 more times during the night to make sure he didn't go low. He woke up the next morning a little high, but with no ketones, and seemed to feel fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment