Saturday, March 12, 2011

Whoa!

Brandan had a BG reading of over 300 twice in 2 hours, at bedtime. So I put the little plastic cup and bottle of ketone sticks on the bathroom sink just in case he woke up and went to the bathroom, but he didn't. The next morning his BG was in the 80s, so I wasn't worried about checking for ketones. I was very sick and paying bills online when Brandan called out from the bathroom, "Mom, I peed in the cup!" Ok, that's fine, but I didn't get up to test it. "No more ketones!" he called out. OK, whatever. (He always says that when he pees in the cup.) All of a sudden, he was behind me asking, "Do I throw this away in the kitchen?" I turned around to see him holding a ketone stick with a dark pink tip!!!!! Moderate to large ketones!!!!!! YIKES!!!!!!! He never did that before. He actually opened the bottle, did the test and closed the bottle! I wasn't going to check! I was ashamed of myself and bittersweetly proud of him. Now he won't let me do it, he insists on doing it himself. Oh, so much responsibilty for a 4-year-old.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know about blood ketone monitors? They are really, really, really helpful with these younger guys and "D".

    I wrote about it here: http://betabuddies.blogspot.com/2010/08/this-literally-pisses-me-off.html

    Good luck...my Joe was diagnosed when he was 3...he is now almost 8.

    ReplyDelete